Friday, June 27, 2014

A Needle Book Swap

I have never participated in a stitching swap of any description before in the land of blog. I have read posts by other gals who swap blocks and other stitching projects with  others from around the world and have always thought it would be fun to be involved in a swap of one kind or another.

So........I have decided to join in the fun of Amy's Needle Book swap, and.........I must admit I have had the best fun designing and stitching my li'l needle book.

With oodles of possibilities colliding around in my brainpan, I decided that I would stitch a cute li'l cottage. Kerrie, who is my swap partner, didn't stipulate what she wanted, only that she loved the colours purple and green, which suited me just fine as I lurve these two colours! Shades of purple, violet, mauve, lilac with a little green......perfect!!

Having drawn a  few sketches of what I wanted to create, and having selected a few fabrics and a few bits and bobs, the stitching began. There are a few house needle books on pinterest but I wanted to create something a li'l different.



My cute li'l cottage was mainly stitched using free hand machine stitching. The doors, the windows, the fused curtains, the trailing flowers and the wrought iron table are all stitched freehand. The front and back fabrics have a thick buckram sandwiched in between to give strength. I hand stitched with tiny stitches the front and back together, all around the perimeter of the house and the roof.



I fancied not only having a 'pretty-as-a-picture' front facade, I also wished the back of the cottage to look cute as well. After all, is there not a saying that goes something like...."back door friends are the best". We most certainly cannot have a boring and ordinary back now, can we......it's just unthinkable!! Besides, there is a pot of tea in readiness for those back door guests.



With the exterior of my li'l cottage  having been stitched and completed, I really wanted to have a whole lot of fun with the inside. The exterior looks like any other cute house needle book out there in cyberspace but the interior of my li'l cottage will be just a li'l avant garde.

Me being me, I  dreamt up an idea of designing and stitching an armoire as the gathering place for the needles and pins. After all, doesn't every li'l cottage, house a beautiful armoire or two within its walls!! Of course they do! I know there is the odd two or three (and more) armoires in my li'l humble abode stashed with a slew of stitching pretties.


So......I drew an armoire, cut the fabric and free hand machine stitched it to the backing fabric with a small piece of batting in between. I then used a small length of 'measuring tape' cotton ribbon as the shelves. Every self respecting armoire needs a babushka doll or two and a lovely tea cup to sit alongside the sewing paraphernalia. I then sewed two doors, with buckram between both sides and stitched them to the armoire. I love the spiffy, state of the art, chevron doors, they are a perfect match with the purple fabric of the armoire....mmm....very in vogue!!




Oh and of course, there is a small basket sitting alongside the armoire, filled with embroidered pretties just waiting to be transformed into a stitching 'lovely'.....oh and of course a pair of scissors peeking out, in readiness for a little fabric snipping!



Now that my lovely armoire is finished, sitting ever so prettily  in front of the polka dot fabric-lined wall, making a design statement, I decided that there needed to be an "oh-so-elegant" candelabra hanging from the ceiling. This would be a wonderful way of housing the pretty embroidery scissors that I wanted to include. I stitched a little pocket for the scissors, then free hand stitched the top of the candelabra continuing to stitch the pattern downwards.





Love it!! Me thinks that every self-respecting cottage needle book needs a gorgeous candelabra and an armoire....don't you??





I really, really had the best fun designing and stitching this li'l needle book. I wanted to make something a li'l different; a 'Kim original'. So, now it's en route, over land and sea, wrapped in an embroidered pretty and tied with a pretty purple and green polka dot ribbon.


 I do hope that the lovely Kerrie loves her unique needle book, just a li'l; adding a smile to her heart and day! I know my li'l cottage needle book added many a smile to my day!!


23 comments:

  1. First I would like to start with saying how much I like your header picture. There is so much fun and excitement looking at all the goodies you have displayed. It just draws you in to look at your post.

    I love the needle book. You have put so much thought into all the details. Your mind is amazing to me; so creative. From top to bottom and front to back...could spend hours just looking and enjoying all the little details. I am sure the recipient will just adore it and treasure it forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing!!! Kerrie is going to pass out with delight when she opens your package and sees that gorgeous little cottage. And then she'll pass out again when she sees the armoire and candelabra! It is truly beautiful Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart skip a beat seeing how beautiful you made it. I know Kerrie will love it. I had to go back several times to look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK...I don't even know what to say! You have put my simpleton needle book to shame. WOW, such intricate work. You thought of everything. If she doesn't love it, her heart isn't beating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure I can think of enough adjectives to describe how lovely it is. I'm sure Kerrie will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gasp! How fortunate is she who will be getting that in the mail. It is just adorable! I love all the little details. Just the cutest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is brilliant - I love the way you have brought it to life from your imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How neat is that! Love it!. Such an ingenious idea. ..a little fold over house , soo cute and then the armoire - lovely doors opening to the cutest measuring tape and that Chanderlier- superb...lovely work, great design . You know you should sell these..probably take forever to make, just saying>

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has to be the most beautiful needlebook I have ever seen. Kerrie is one lucky girl. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well all I can say is that I Hope that one day I can be your swap partner if you make something as wonderful as that.
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! A stunning piece of work :-)
    Tracey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clever colourful crafting stunning needle case! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa....it really was the best fun. Hope you have a lovely week! xx

      Delete
  13. This has to be the best, most beautiful needle book ever! A work of art in every detail and so practical at the same time. I'm sure Kerrie will treasure it forever. She's certainly the most envied needlebook owner in blogland :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is the most amazing and creative needle book I have ever seen! Amazing Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your sketches are perfect and this is the most unique needle book I have ever seen! It is stunning in every little detail. A beautiful work of art, Kim!!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What's not to love! Amazing details. It's a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful work, AS USUAL!!! What a lucky recipient she will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind, Beth. Fingers are crossed that she will love it!!

      Delete
  19. Oh. My. Goodness!!! This is just the most delightful needle book EVER---what a treasure Kerrie is going to receive.

    ReplyDelete
  20. And Kerrie just adores this exquisite creation. It is an amazing Needle Book and so very much loved. I will treasure it forever!!! Thank you Thank you Thank you beautiful lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OM goodness, this is the cutest needlebook ever. How in the world you could prepare it and give it away....oh dear, I'm afraid I'd want to just keep it and play with it myself. You added so many dear, sweet embellishments with the scissors, the heart door handle, the sweet little bits of lace and embroidery...you are totally an artist!

    ReplyDelete